Wednesday, March 31, 2010

For Trevor









I took these photos for Trevor to add to our ever growing collection of graffiti shots from hither and yon. All of this work was done on the same street in Amsterdam. The posters are on the door of an anarchist bookstore that was directly across the street. I went into the shop to see if someone there knew where I might buy French language manga. It was dusk and cold outside, but inside two men sat in the back filling the warmly lit shop with cigarette smoke. Old yellowed books stretched from floor to high ceiling over every inch of wall-space and the men were deeply engaged in conversation—something philosophical, I imagined. They looked at me politely, but interrupted, when I came in and I asked if they knew where I could buy comic books (for my son I qualified). They searched themselves and said they didn’t know.
I love Holland. I love the Dutch. But I think, Trevor, that the graffiti we saw in Spain is the best, yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment